Tuesday, January 01, 2008

12/27/07: Joto Saké Tasting at Sakaya

Sakaya held their second in-store tasting today, featuring three sakés from Joto Saké's portfolio. My motivation to visit were to thank Henry for arraging my visit to Tomita Shuzo, maker of Shichi Hon Yari, and pick out a bottle for my dinner. Fortunately, Henry was at the tasting, as well as my friend Harris Salat.

In addition to the standard tasting, Henry had two selections that were not available in the States yet. Yuho Junmai Ginjo (SMV:+5, Acidity: 1.7, Koji Rice: Yamadanishiki, Kaké Rice: Miyamanishiki, Seimaibuai: 55%) from Ishikawa was clean, focused, and balanced Junmai Ginjo with good depth and long umami on the finish.

The second bottle was Yuki No Bosha Yamahai Junmai Ginjo (Seimaibuai: 50%). This to me was half- Yamahai and half- Yuki No Bosha - there were slight earthiness, depth, and umami from Yamahai process, and restrained fruitiness of the Yuki No Bosha style.

Harris with Midori-san from Joto Saké.

Harris, Rick, and Henry.

I decided on Shichi Hon Yari Junmai Ginjo to pair with my dinner, leftover roast beef from Christmas. This turned out to be the perfect pairing.

No comments: