Friday, October 02, 2009

4/30/09: Sakagura

Tonight's visit to Sakagura was a momentous occasion, as it marks the last night for my long time friend Kadoi-san before moving onto Robata-ya in East Village.

For this occasion, he brought out Juyondai "Hiden Tamagaeshi" Tokubetsu Honjozo (SMV: +2, Acidity: 1.2, Rice: Gohyakumangoku, Seimaibuai: 60%) that has been resting in the Sakagura refregirator for 4 years. The aging brought out ripeness both in the nose and the palate, and while the flavor was initially sweet, the intenseness and dryness led to a long finish. I couldn't really decide whether I liked it or not, but it certainly was interesting.

The second saké was one of my comfor saké, the Shichi Hon Yari Junmai. This complex junmai never fails to meet my saké demands!

Third saké was Ama No To "Junkara" Junmai, as Akita is always on my mind (when it comes to saké).

Lastly, I had Kikuyoi Tokubetsu Junmai (SMV: +6, Acidity: 1.6, Rice: Nihonbaré, Seimaibuai: 60%, Yeast: Shizuoka) based on Kadoi-san's recommendation. Soft on approach and exzpressing true essence of saké, I very much enjoyed Kikuyoi.

I will miss his friendship as well as this type of personal attention. Best of luck!!!

No comments: