Sunday, January 17, 2010

11/30/09: Day 11 in Japan, Part I - Enoshima Island

Believe it or not, I made it to breakfast.

After fueling up, it was time to board the Yokosuka Line on the way to Enoshima Island.

At Ofuna Station, I transferred to the Shonan Monorail, which runs direct to Enoshima. Believe it or not, it's my first time ever boarding the monorail. The design reminds you of these guys, no?

View of Kita-Kamakura from the monorail.

Going to Enoshima is a good exercise. After walking 15 minutes, you arrive at the 600 m long Enoshima-ohashi bridge.

The main street of Enoshima is full of souvenir shops and seafood stands.

Statue on the way to Enoshima Shrine.

Evidently, going through this rope will cleanse your spirt.

Although Enoshima is a small island, it is very hilly. Here is a view towards the mainland.

After much walking, it was time to refuel. I came across "Enoshima-Tei" specializing in local seafood.

The restaurant feature spectacular view of the ocean and mainland looking west.

My order was seafood rice bowl, featuring fried oyster and shirasu fish.

At the rear of the island, fisherman is seeking out crabs and shells during the low tide.

More view of the rear of the island. You can easily spend some time being mesmerized by the movement of the ocean current.

After walking around the island, it was time to head back to Tokyo. From Enoshima, I rode my favorite local train, Enoden.

From Enoshima, it runs along the streets like a trolley in San Francisco, before running seaside where you can see Enoshima fade into the distance.

No comments: