Sunday, November 22, 2009

11/21/09: Day 2 in Japan - Shinjuku, Dinner at Aunt and Uncle's

My second night will be spent in Shinjuku, which was about 30 minutes away from Tokyo by JR Yamanoté Line. It has some nice architecture, such as this Coccoon Building.

Of course, the main strip has the decidedly Tokyo feel with the neon lights and all.

On the way to train station, I passed along a smoke filled alley full of old-school restaurants and izakayas. I would've stop by for yakitori and saké, if not for the fact that I was heading to my aunt and uncle's place in Ebisu for dinner.

Now, here's something you don't find out on every day basis. My aunt and uncle has been getting sakés shipped to their apartment from a certain brewery. They told me that the brewery is operated by a family of my paternal grandmother. Which brewery is this? Upon close inspection, the Dewa No Yuki from Yamagata. First bottle was the special saké, Tobingakoi Junmai Daiginjo, made usig 25% Yamadanishiki from Hyogo and 50% local Miyamanishiki, both polished down to 50%.

The Tobingakoi really came alive when paired with mixture of coarsely grated Yamaimo potatoes, salmon roe, and nori.

The next bottle was their "Giou Ginyo" Junmai Daiginjo, an outstanding saké for their very clean finish.

We spent the evening drinking sakés, and enjoying this view of the Tokyo Tower (right) and Roppongi Mori Building (left) from their bay window.

No comments: